The formal player selection process should not begin prior to the All Star coaches meeting, which will typically be held in the fourth week of the House season. Player selection is ultimately the decision of the selected All Star coaches and the appropriate division Commissioner, subject to the following guidelines and consistent with demonstrating consideration of the feelings and best interests of the children.
It is to be understood that children demonstrating superior talent and skill, combined with traits of sportsmanship, fair play, honesty, leadership, dedication and coachability are the primary candidates for selection. Sportsmanship is a major part of any game and should be emphasized. All Star teams represent the entire VYS organization when participating in any endeavor, especially regional events such as All Star tournaments. Therefore, it is especially important that all VYS participants distinguish themselves by consistently displaying sportsmanship at all times -- during the VYS season as well as during the tournament.
The selected All Star coaches and the appropriate division Commissioner should determine the composition of the All Star teams based upon observation during House league play and the evaluations and assessments of various individuals as follows:
- During at least the first four weeks of the House season, the Commissioners should obtain evaluations of opposing coaches as to those players that exhibited the highest levels of talent, skill and those traits set forth above.
- Commissioners should observe the players during House games in an effort to identify primary candidates for selection as All Stars.
- All Star coaches should observe the players during the course of regular season games.
- House coaches should nominate their own players that they believe merit consideration for selection as an All Star.
- Division Commissioners should endeavor to have one knowledgeable observer from outside the division evaluate the players and provide input.